Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Diary

14th February, 2009

Dear diary,
Ah, today is the long awaited celebration of love: Valentine’s Day. Everywhere men are walking with a dozen of red roses in their hands (here and there, there are few white or pink), heart-shaped chocolate boxes, and cute teddy bears. On the other hand, women are rushing into stores trying to figure out what their other half would like as a present – a perfume or maybe even a card? And as night falls, the restaurants will be filled with hand-holding, smile-wearing couples.

Such a cliché. It seems like it’s more about the presents than it is about the real reason for this holiday – love. In this world, bombarded with products we seem to take the emotions out of every celebration and make it completely commercial. I mean, c’mon! Has anyone heard of a handmade card? Something creative? Something unique and true? Even a piece of paper could turn into a love note, when someone would dedicate a few moments of his/her time to put down a few words of affection, of care. It should be a celebration of you and that special person in your life to whom you say I love you.

Oh well, I got to go get ready now, I am off to my boyfriend’s house. He has been cooking all day for me, preparing a dinner for the both of us. And no, it’s not a typical, romantic, Italian cuisine, quite the opposite; he is making hamburgers and fries, because he knows I like them. And yes, I did get him a present, but trust me its nothing that you can buy from a store.


22nd February, 2009

Dear diary,
The ultimate battle of the movies, the biggest movie event of the year, the Annual Academic Awards are here! Well, it is 3am, and I am interested in who is going to bring Oscar home; however, the movie stars are still walking down the red carpet (for an hour now) and it’s getting kind of boring.

Oh here we go, they begin! Wohoo!! WALL-E won Best Animated Picture (it was my favorite). Hmm, seems like the Academy is trying to shy away from the commercial, Hollywood movies and look for the more artistic, low-budget ones; the ones that hold the true essence of movies. I think I like this change. The world really seems to open its horizons: Obama, an African-American – President of the United States, Slumdog Millionaire, a British movie set in India – Best Picture. Also, some other movies are a breath of fresh air; for example, Milk, Frost/Nixon. Movies with essence and exquisite acting. Movies that move and stun. Yes indeed, 2009 is a year of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment