Thursday, December 24, 2009

April

“Hello. I am the forth month of the year. I live for 30 days and each year I am reborn. I would like to share this story with you, my dear readers. “

I was sitting in the lonely and cold, late-autumn night in December. And all of a sudden I heard a little shiny voice saying: “April, April…You are a special month.” I saw a little girl. I asked her: “What do you want from me?” (Maybe I was too rude) Then, she approached me and again spoke with her shiny voice: “Tell me the story about your life in 2009, April. Please share it with me.” And I couldn’t say no to the small kid. And so I started telling her my story:

“As you may know, the first day of my life each year is celebrated in most countries. It is the Fool’s Day. The day was marked by the commission of hoaxes and other practical jokes of varying sophistication on friends, family members, enemies, and neighbors, or sending them on a fool's errand, the aim of which was to embarrass the gullible. In some countries, such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa the jokes only lasted until noon, and someone who played a trick after noon was called an "April Fool". Elsewhere, such as in Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, Russia, The Netherlands, and the U.S., the jokes last all day.

My little girl, the period from the 9th till the 12th day of my life was special one. The biggest Christian Holiday was celebrated by all Christians in the world. The 9th was Maundy Thursday and it was the Thursday before Easter. It is also known as "Holy Thursday" or "Great Thursday" and commemorates the Last Supper when Jesus shared the Passover meal with his disciples on the night before he was crucified. Maundy Thursday services were held and they are more solemn occasions, marked by the shadow of Jesus' betrayal. Then the 10th day came. It was Good Friday, which is basically the Friday before Easter Sunday. On this day Christians commemorated the passion, or suffering, and death on the cross of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Many Christians around the world spent this day in fasting, prayer, repentance, and meditation on the agony and suffering of Christ on the cross. Ah, and so the 12th day came. It is the big day known as Easter Sunday when Christians celebrated the resurrection of the Lord, Jesus Christ. It was the most well-attended Sunday service of the year for Christian churches. Christians believe according to Scripture, that Jesus came back to life, or was raised from the dead, three days after his death on the cross.

I can’t really remember what else happened during my life in 2009. I know that there were political changes in the world and elections. But I assume that you are not that interested in politics.

But why I am so special to you?”

The little girl said:

“You are so special in my life. I will always remember you in 2009.”

I inquired:

“Can I listen now to your story? Would you like to share it with me?”

“Yes. First, during your life I lost a very significant person in my life-I lost my grandmother. I can say that this was the hardest period for me. My grandmother was my idol, my role model in life. Unfortunately, I had to face with this event on your 6th day of your life.

Also, I will always remember this Easter; because it was the first Easter I spent in bed, in a hospital. My health condition was really bad during this period of your life. It was the 16th day of your life when I figured out that I am not as healthy as I should be. And yes, I can say that I hate you, April, because you brought many bad periods in my life.

However, at the very end of your life, a good period finally came. In the whole chaos, I found out that I was accepted at this program and that I would spend my summer in the USA. I was just ecstatic. And I can say, I loved you then.

That’s why you are so special to me. Because during your life April, my life was dynamic. There were good times, and bad times in between. You are special because I have a love-hate relationship with you.”

“I listened to the little girl quite carefully. She was so young, yet experienced. I was glad because I meant something to someone. Even though, my life in 2009 was similar to my lives in previous years, I was different in the eyes of this little girl. And she will always remember me, always.”

No comments:

Post a Comment